Natural lighting does a lot of wonders to any home. It makes a room brighter and allows homeowners to save money on lighting during the daytime. It also helps make the home roof and siding look good, adding that homey feel that everyone would want for their abode.
Aside from making homes brighter for less, natural light also offers a few health benefits to everyone who lives inside them. Here’s a quick look at some of the health benefits that natural light brings:
1. Increased productivity and comfort- Daylight has been linked to increased comfort and productivity. People living in homes with adequate natural lighting will feel more comfortable and more inclined to be productive. Adding windows to the home will help people become more productive, then.
2. Happier dispositions- Adequate natural light has also been linked to a better disposition. Workers stationed in places with enough daylighting report that they “love working there,” and hope that they’d never be stationed elsewhere. The same applies for homes with adequate natural light, particularly those with a lot of windows.
3. Wards off seasonal depression and ushers improved mood- About 6% of people suffer from a seasonal affective disorder or a major depressive disorder associated with the change in seasons. About 14 percent, on the other hand, suffer from the infamous “winter blues.” Getting as much natural light as possible helps deal with these problems. Windows will help with this.
4. Boosts vitamin D- The sunshine vitamin is known to help people fight against bone loss, heart disease, weight gain, and cancers. Homeowners can get it by exposing themselves to sunlight, whether inside or outside the home. A roof replacement project, with the intention of adding skylights, will help in this.
5. Provides necessary mental and visual stimulation for improved circadian rhythm- Natural lighting provides people with the necessary mental and visual stimulation needed for a healthy and improved circadian rhythm. This, of course, translates to better sleeping patterns and improved sleep. Adding windows to the home will help its inhabitants sleep better.
6. Reduces health risks of fluorescent lighting- Fluorescent lighting helps us see when it’s dark, but too much of it isn’t good at all. Prolonged exposure to such lighting is linked to elevated stress levels. The use of fluorescent lighting as a primary light source (i.e. from morning till night) also increases the risk of migraines and eye strain. Natural lighting won’t do these.
7. Faster recovery from surgeries- Research has found that patients who underwent surgeries recovered faster if they were placed inside rooms with windows that allowed them to look at trees. Those who were inside rooms with windows facing brick walls recovered slower. Natural light, combined with trees, makes for a good thing.
Looking for ways to allow more natural light into your home? Call the pros at Pritchett Roofing Inc., the experts in roof repair and window installation. Call us at (770) 375-2490 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation. We serve clients in Canton, GA.